Search This Blog

Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Jack and Jill


Jill was so excited when the captain announced that it was a matter of minutes before touchdown. Hello Philippines again for her after flying endlessly this past year. But now she’s not the stewardess, she’s a passenger sitting on business class, admiring the precious stone on her left ring finger. More than anything else, she’s excited about preparing for her big day and telling him the stories that she brought along with her, anxious and excited on being into his arms again. This time, forever.

Jack arrived late at the airport. He then saw Jill half soaked in her own sweat at the arrival area. Not used to the weather, she stares blankly at her watch yet admiring her ring at the same time. 
“What took you so long?” said Jill while hitting jack with her LV handbag.
“I’m sorry. It was really traffic at EDSA.” Said Jack with a nervous voice.
“Ok fine. You owe me Coffee and Cake!”
The two were friends since time immemorial. Now it’s different. 

They sat on this porch overlooking the bay area. Jack thinks it’s romantic since Jill is a sucker for coffee over sunsets because she doesn’t wanna go to bed early. She’s a fan of the late night shows on cable TV and Jack thinks this is the perfect spot. Jill started telling Jack about the places she visited and the people she had met. Then she asked.
“Natatandaan mo pa noon how people tell us we are the perfect match?”
“Yeah, coz they based it on our names. Jack and Jill. I just laughed at the thought of it. A very shallow basis” replied Jack.
The two laughed ridiculously after reminiscing some memories from the not so distant past. Then the air went blank.
“Do you still remember the letter you gave me on our first Anniversary? You said you wrote it before you met me. And that it’s a love letter for no one?” Asked Jack
“Yes of course, it’s a love letter to my prince charming that I haven’t met yet when I wrote the letter. Whatever happened to that letter? 
“It’s still in my wallet. I’ve kept it years now.”
Then Jill stared at jack, “can you read to me some lines? I think I forgot what I wrote. It was centuries ago”.

Then Jack grabbed his wallet and took a piece of a paper that looks like a papyrus for it’s too old and fragile. The letter was addressed to “someone”. Then he began to read.

…”I woke up today with the hope of meeting you. My night in shining polo barong. (Because I like my man in the corporate world) hihi. I wanna do my morning rituals after you wake me up with your kisses and giggles. So before anything else I wanna thank you for the things I know you will be doing to me when we’ve become lovers.”…

Jack cleared his throat for what he will read next, he intends to skip the cheesy parts and proceed to the more important ones. Then he continued reading.

…”Thank you for giving me the privilege of loving and being loved it return”…
…”Thank you for being at my dance rehearsals, bringing me water and towel. And for bringing me flowers after that show I did at the medicine auditorium”…

Jill was teary eyed and kind of freaked out when she blurted. 
“Yeah I remember you doing all those stuff even before I gave you that letter. The pen and paper must be magic”
Then Jack continued reading.

…”Thank you for wiping the make up out of my face whenever I go home, too drunk to even change to my pajamas”…
…”Thank you for the breakfast in bed when I’m still hung over”…

Then Jill again looked at her watch and admired the diamond on her finger at the same time.
“It’s getting late and the story telling should stop right there, I still wanna finish my cake before Daniel comes” Jill said.
“It’s a nice ring. He called me up a couple of days ago asking me to pick you up the airport coz he will be in a meeting till late afternoon, and he also asked me to be his best man at your wedding.” 
Replied Jack with marks of remorse all over his face.
“It’s a Harry Winston. He proposed when I was about to board on a connecting flight to Japan. He said his love can’t wait and…
Before Jill finished her statement, jack interjected, 
“I think your coffee is getting cold.”
Then Jill took a sip and Jack looked away. After a long, awkward pause, Jack spoke
“Who would have thought that this roller coaster will end up like this? The one girl I loved most ending up with the person closest to me. But no hate feelings, don’t get me wrong, I know my best friend can take care of you better, and can love you more. I was just an ass back then to have let you go.”
A single drop of tear fell from jack’s left eye. The setting sun hit it and it sparkle like the stone on Jill’s finger. It was pure and true just like de beers. Jill was left with her jaw about to drop at the site of this. She thought that the feelings went away after years of not seeing each other, with Jack being on rehab for his alcohol abuse. But still, she realized that even if you take away some part of a person’s past, there are things that don’t change. At least for Jack. And that’s the price he has to pay.

“I thought we’ve both moved on? I love Daniel.” Jill said
“I know and We already did move on, it’s just that there are things from my past that haunts me, that there’s this question that I keep on asking what if I did things differently, will anything change?” answered Jack. A long pause followed.
“We’re all good.” He added while patting Jill on the shoulder.

A Tall, bald, big-built figure tapped Jack from behind the porch. He wiped his eyes, pretending he’s sneezing.
“Uy pare kamusta? Sorry for the hassle a. I should’ve canceled my meeting for my bride-to-be. But anyway, thank you for being there to save my ass. Come to our house, mom prepared dinner.” Daniel said.
“I think I’m staying here for a bit. You guys go ahead. And no need to say sorry pare, As I told Jill, It’s all good.” Jack said.
Jill held Daniel’s hand and kissed him. 
“I know you’re tired Boo, let me carry you to the car, like a bride” Daniel told her with a smile and his sweet baritone voice. 
Daniel opened the car door while looking at Jill like she’s the most beautiful girl in the world …
Jill looked at the porch to say goodbye…
Jack was looking away… Admiring the sunset…


Dixiepixie 04/26



No comments:

Post a Comment